Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Chapter 2 Transforming Learning with Unique, Powerful Technology


Transforming Learning with Unique, Powerful Technology- Chapter 2

Focus Question- How do students use technology for learning visually?

Being a visual learner as well as having visual acuity problems  I was drawn to this particular question.  Chapter two talks about the different possibly of creating a new more integrated classroom.  By using videos or multimedia presentations are just a few ways to incorporate the visual learners in the classroom.  Personally, I learn best when I can see a chart or presentation.  I can see how using videos or power points would be more helpful than a traditional lecture style class. Not only would the students would be able to participate in their own learning, they could also follow along with the lesson.  In many cases traditional lecture style classes are often hard to follow along or participate in.  Using these new forms of technology will increase the participation of the students. 

Tech Tool: Thinkmap Visual Thesaurus

This tech tool is another way for visual learners took look up words and definitions for words.  You type in the word and then a visual map pops up of all the words that go with your word as well as definitions of those words.  The website categorizes the different parts of speech.  Red for nouns, yellow for adjectives, green for verbs and purple for adverbs.  I really like this tech tool because it lays everything out in a neat organized form.

Summary and Conclusion

This chapter was a little bit better than the first one, but still a little overwhelming.  I think as a future teacher I would be more inclined to use the visuals of technology, such as videos from YouTube, or PowerPoint’s and Prezis.  Being a visual learner I think I would use more visual types of things.  Before I would have just wanted to make posters, but this chapter has given me new ideas about using technology to help and enhance the way visual learners learn.


1 comment:

  1. Visual literacy is so critical - just think about how much we use our 'eyes' to read all sorts of things: text, pictures, charts, etc. It is exciting to see the number of opportunities for learning new content. I am surprised that you didn't enhance your own post with appropriate photos and videos! ;)

    ReplyDelete